Chi Mei Optoelectronics (CMO), Taiwan’s second largest LCD manufacturer barely behind AU Optronics (AUO), will be unveiling a lot of new LCD panel technologies at the FPD International 2008 show in Japan. Here is the list:
- 240Hz: Twice as fast as 120Hz and with motion interpolation you can add 3 extra frames to make motion picture ultra smooth.
- Milli-Power: LED backlit LCDs for notebook PC appliations that reduce power consumption by 80% on a 15.6″ LCD panel.
- 9.9mm Thick 55″ LCD TV panel: This is ultra-thin and has local dimming technology.
- Fresco TV: 14mm thick 42″ LCD TV panel with a CCFL backlight.
- 1.2mm Thick Notebook PC LCD Panel: Also weighs just 100g.
- 3.3mm Thick 19″ LCD Monitor Panel: Weighs less than 800g.
- Two-sided 19″ LCD Monitor Panel
- 7.3kg 46″ LCD TV Panel: Ultralight.
- 5-mask Single Gap Transflective LCD
- 2.8″ a-Si VGA LCD: That’s a pixel format of 640 x 480 on a small 2.8″ LCD.
- Electrophoretic Display Technology
- Touch-control Technology
Looks like CMO will be quite busy at FPD International 2008. I think the theme for CMO will be thin, light and less power consumption. These three features can be applied to all three large-area applications: LCD monitor, notebook PC and LCD TV. I really like the Milli-Power technology that reduces the LCD power consumption by 80% on a 15.6″ LCD panel. The LCD in a notebook PC is the most power hungry component and by reducing the power consumption of the LCD you can get considerable increase in battery life without having to pay $200 for the big fat ultra-high capacity version.
[tags]Chi Mei Optoelectronics, CMO, 240Hz, LED Backlight, Notebook PC, LCD Monitor, LCD TV, 15.6″, 55″, 42″, 19″, 46″, 2.8″, 15.6″ Notebook PC LCD Panel, 55″ LCD TV Panel, 19″ LCD Monitor Panel, 46″ LCD TV Panel, Transflective, Electrophoretic Display, Touch, Milli-Power, Fresco TV[/tags]