Sharp Display Products: Sharp & Sony Joint Venture

The joint venture between Sharp and Sony will be called Sharp Display Products and will be launched on April 1, 2009. Sharp will own 66% and Sony will own the remainder at 34%. LCD production is expected to start in March 2010. The LCD fabrication plant will be located in Sakai, Japan where Sharp is already running the world’s largest LCD fab.

Sony is also in bed with Samsung with the S-LCD joint venture, which provides 50% of its output to each company and is focused on 40″ and 50″-class LCD TV panel production. Sharp’s G10 LCD fab is designed to be most efficient cutting 60″ LCD TV panels and that’s what Sharp Display Products will likely focus on. With the equity split 66/34, it wouldn’t be surprising if Sony’s allocation was just 34% of the total production at this new joint venture.

Source: The Wall Street Journal, Engadget

Leave a Reply