The folks over at iFixit bought a brand new DSi as soon as it went on sale and immediately took it apart. Here are some highlights:
- New Matte Black Skin Rougher than the DS Lite but easier to grip. Might be more scratch resistant.
- Less Battery Capacity DSi uses 840mAh compared to the Lite’s 1000mAh.
- No More Game Boy Advance Port Instead you get a new SD slot.
- WiFi You can download DSiWare through Nintendo’s online download library.
- Two Integrated Cameras VGA (640 x 480, 0.3MP) for pictures and video.
- Disassemble in 10 Minutes Experienced folks can disassemble the DSi in about 10 minutes. And you don’t need a tri-wing screwdriver. Should make tinkering with the DSi quite fun. And easy.
- Samsung Is In Nintendo tapped Samsung for the flash memory and MMC controller: MoviNAND 256MB.
- September 2008 That’s around when it was manufactured. Nintendo wanted to make sure everyone who wants a DSi could get it before releasing it six months later.
Hop on over to iFixit for the complete teardown.
Update 2009.04.07 5:42PM PDT: I just received some additional information about the LCD displays from iFixit and it seems they are tagged with these numbers:
Anyone know what these part numbers might be referring to?