Diamond Glass LG‘s SL95 series is an ultrathin (29.3mm or 1.15-inch) comes in two sizes: the 47-inch 47SL95QD and the 42-inch 42SL95QD. It has an edge-to-edge cover glass called Diamond Glass giving it a borderless-looking smooth design. According to LG the Diamond Glass is rugged too, being able to withstand normal knocks on it. Here are the pertinent hardware specs:
- Display: 42-inch and 47-inch Anti-glare S-IPS TFT LCD with Edge-Lit LED Backlight
- Resolution: 1920 x 1080
- Contrast Ratio: 3,000,000:1 (dynamic)
- Response Time: 1ms
- Brightness: 500 cd/m2
- Video Engine: Twin XD
- Connectivity: USB 2.0 (Photo/Music), HDMI (4)
- Price: KRW3,900,000 or about US$3,335 (47SL95Q), KRW3,100,000 or about US$2,650 (42SL95QD)
LED The SL95 series is just 29.3mm thick and has a bezel border of just 30mm, much thinner that previous models with a 50mm bezel. The bezel is hidden behind the glass cover so cannot be seen easily when turned off. Edge-lit LED backlight technology is incorporated to make the SL95 series extremely thin. I wouldn’t put too much credence into the incredibly high dynamic contrast ratio.
Optimization LG eyeQ Green technology uses an ambient light sensor and modulates brightness, color temperature, contrast, etc. for a total of 4096 adjustments to optimize the picture quality. It has been reported in many other blogs that this technology is responsible for reducing power but they are incorrect: the Smart Energy Saving Plus feature reduces power consumption, by up to 70%. There are four power saving levels. Other notable features include:
- Magic Motion Remote: The remote control can be used like a mouse.
- 3D GUI: The GUI is easy-to-use and received the 2009 Red dot award.
- Multichannel Browser: You can see 54 channels on one page and makes it easy to channel surf.
- FUN Games: There are built-in games you can use the Magic Motion Remote to play with.
- Calendar: There’s even a calendar.
- DivX HD / USB: Load your DivX movies into your USB stick and plug it into the SL95 series and watch them. Simple.
The SL95 series from LG looks absolutely wonderful with its simplicity but you’ll need to pay up, around two to three times as much as what the average 47-inch and 42-inch LCD TVs cost.
Source: LGE (Korean)