HDMI Licensing, the agent responsible for licensing the HDMI specification, will be promoting the new HDMI 1.4 specification at CES Unveiled @ NY and here are the major enhancements over the current 1.3 specification:
- HDMI Ethernet Channel: Integrated 100 Mbps Ethernet connectivity
- 4K2K Video Support: Enables video resolutions far beyond 1080p, supporting next-generation displays that will rival the Digital Cinema systems used in many commercial movie theatres.
- 3D Over HDMI: Defines input/output protocols for major 3D video formats, paving the way for true 3D gaming and 3D home theater applications.
- Audio Return Channel: The ability to send audio data upstream. Allows an HDMI-connected TV with a built-in tuner to send audio data upstream to a surround audio system, eliminating the need for a separate audio cable.
- HDMI Micro Connector: A new, smaller connector for phones and other portable devices, supporting video resolutions up to 1080p.
- Automotive Connection System for in-car distribution of HD content: New cables and connectors for automotive video systems, designed to meet the unique demands of the motoring environment while delivering true HD quality.
- Additional Color Spaces: Adds support for additional color modes used in digital photography and computer graphics.
- Automatic selection of viewing mode based on content type
I really like the 4K2K and 3D built-in support as well as the audio return channel that eliminates the need for separate audio cables. The Micro Connector should help HDMI to be the standard video-out connection on mobile phones.