Switchable GPU The UL30Vt from ASUS is a an ultrathin (less than 1-inch thick) 13.3-inch notebook PC sporting an overclockable 1.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 CPU. You can equip with a slower 1.2GHz Celeron (SU2300/743). The 13.3-inch “Color-Shine” glare-type TFT LCD features a 1366 x 768 resolution. The unique feature about this featherweight is switchable graphics: pro battery or pro performance. Intel’s GMA X4500MHD does the job of extending battery life while NVIDIA’s GeForce G 210M with 512MB VRAM gives you graphics performance when you need it. RAM is of the DDR3 variety (1066MHz) with two SODIMM sockets good for a maximum of 4GB. To make use of all that RAM you’ll need the 64-bit version of Windows 7.
Apple-esque: It seems almost all ultra-modern notebook PCs have taken design cues from Apple with its MacBook Pro-line. The keyboard are of the UL30Vt looks very much like the one you see on the unibody MacBook Pros with black chicklet-style keys surrounded by what looks like aluminum. A big difference would be the addition of a numeric keypad. Some might like that but I don’t as it shifts the keyboard toward the left and makes typing awkward. The trackpad area has been fully integrated into the chassis and ASUS fitted an actual button below the trackpad area.
Other specifications include:
- Hard Disk: 250GB, 320GB, 500GB 2.5-inch 9mm SATA
- Webcam: VGA (0.3 megapixel)
- Card Reader: 4-in-1 (SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro)
- Connectivity: WiFi BGN, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (optional), VGA, USB 2.0 (3), Ethernet, HDMI, Mic-In, Headphone-Out
- Battery: 4 cell (2200 mAh), 8 cell (4400/5600 mAh)
- Dimensions: 32.2 x 23.3 x 1.48 – 2.46cm
- Weight: 1.50 kg (with 4-cell battery)
As you might have noted the UL30Vt does not come with an integrated optical drive. Below is a promotional video of the UL30Vt by ASUS:
- “ASUS’s UL30Vt announced, somehow finds room for discrete graphics” – Engadget
- “ASUSTek Computer Inc. UL30Vt” – ASUS