Research In Motion (RIM) co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie as quoted in CrackBerry:
RIM is a global leader in antenna design and has been successfully designing industry-leading wireless data products with efficient and effective radio performance for over 20 years. During that time, RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage. One thing is for certain, RIM’s customers don’t need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity.
Here are just a few YouTube videos that test the BlackBerry Bold 9700 for signal attenuation:
- TheBerryFix: Couldn’t duplicate signal degradation.
- ajstonet: Video is very blurry but four bars stays at four.
- tompson16: Signal remains strong at five, drops to four when gripping tightly.
- babanoury: Four bars shrink to two.
- craigsmobileuniverse: At the 3:27 mark. Signal drops from five to three.
- SmartphoneNation: Drops from four to one.
- 1timmahh: Five down to zero.
- TheAlSacco: Five down to four using a tight grip with the right hand. Drops to three while gripping with two hands, stays around four.
- StickyGeko: Five down to zero when cradled with two hands.
Twenty years of antenna design…