Japan Display Inc. (JDI): On April 23, 2014 JDI announced the development of its 10.1-inch 4K Ultra HD (UHD) 3840×2160 LTPS IPS LCD panel with a resolution of 438 ppi. Last year it was a 12.1-inch 4K LCD. Here are the specs:
- Display Size: 10.07 inch / 25.58 cm
- Display Mode: IPS
- Color Gamut: 71% NTSC
- Contrast Ratio: 1100:1 (typical)
- Viewing Angles: 160/160+ (CR>100:1)
- Brightness: 400 cd/m2 (typical)
- Power Consumption: 2180 mW (1800 mW @ 400 cd/m2 backlight + 380 mW LCD panel)
One interesting observation are the viewing angles. LCD manufacturers usually try to maximize specification numbers by using viewing angles at a contrast ratio of greater than 10:1, but JDI is using greater than 100:1. I don’t know for sure, but viewing angles with a contrast ratio greater than 10:1 could be 178/178, which is typical of most IPS LCDs.
I think it’s safe to assume 10.1-inch 4K tablets are coming.