Barra is only a year into his job as leader of Mi’s internationalization efforts, but he’s already â€œsick and tiredâ€ of hearing his company derided as an Apple copycat. He sees Mi as â€œan incredibly innovative companyâ€ that never stops trying to improve and refine its designs, and the allegations of it copying Apple are â€œsweeping sensationalist statements because they have nothing better to talk about.â€
Here are some interesting coincidences pulled together from The Verge and Cult of Android:
- Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun wears denim jeans and a black top while making a keynote presentation and at the end puts up a â€œone more thingâ€ slide.
- Xiaomi’s Mi 4 smartphone has chamfered edges like the iPhone 5/5s.
- Xiaomi’s Mi Pad tablet sports the same display as the retina iPad mini with the same aspect ratio, pixel format, and size. The plastic has a very similar design to the iPhone 5c, and with exactly the same colors.
- Xiaomi’s Mi Box looks like a curved Apple TV.
- Xiaomi’s Mi Router Mini is very similar to Apple’s Magic Trackpad.
- Xiaomi’s retail stores look like a poor man’s replica of Apple Stores.
- Xiaomi’s Mi 3’s camera lens was a copy-paste job of Apple’s Aperture icon.
Xiaomi copies, literally. John Gruber wrote about a copyrighted photograph by Javi Inchusta Gonzalez taken with a Nikon D700 SLR on Xiaomi’s Mi 3 features page; Xiaomi claims the photo was taken by its Mi 3. And that’s not the only photo.
Xiaomi’s reputation is well deserved.