iPhone 7 Display Test Results by DisplayMate
2016.10.24 13:28 PT
[ DisplayMate ] Raymond Soneira, President of DisplayMate, ran a battery of tests to find out how good the iPhone 7’s display is. Here’s my summary:
- Two Color Gamuts: 102% DCI-P3, a wide color gamut used in digital cinema, and 104% sRGB / Rec. 709. The iPhone 7 automatically switches between the two.
- Brightness: 602 cd/m2, highest peak brightness measured on a smartphone.
- Contrast: 1762, highest of any mobile IPS LCD that has been measured, and 26% higher than Apple’s spec of 1400.
- Reflectance: 4.4%, lowest measured on a smartphone.
- Color Accuracy: Most color accurate display ever measured (including smartphones, tablets, laptops, monitors, and TVs).
The iPhone 7’s display is better in almost every category than the iPhone 6’s display. In Soneira’s words the iPhone 7’s display “… is by far the best performing mobile LCD display that we have ever tested, and it breaks many display performance records.” But he also notes OLED display superiority in the areas of thinness, lightness, smaller bezel, flexibility, response time, viewing angles, always-on mode, and power management.